With the onset of colder weather and rain out come our thick winter woolies, the comfy clothes like tracksuits with elasticized waists. We light fires, switch on heaters and generally find it more difficult to motivate ourselves to exercise. We are inclined to want to "hibernate."
As with the change in season so our bodies needs change. There is no doubt that we crave warm food in winter. Salads and cold water just don't hold the same appeal in winter as they do in summer. I thought I'd share some winter warmers with you.
Ideas for hot, healthy & light winter meals
- Baked potatoes with tomato & onion filling or mushroom filling
- Soups are nourishing and healthy meals
- Eggs - omlette, poached, boiled
- Lightly stir fried vegetables
- Warm chicken or beef over a salad
- Slice of quiche
- Corn on the cob (Mielies)
- Grilled mushrooms on salad
- Suppers include more vegetables and less salad
- Fruit - stew, bake or roast eg stewed guavas, baked apples, roasted fruit kebabs, warm berries
- Hot water with a slice of lemon